At Herbruck’s, every day is Earth Day
We work hard to put our values into action in everything we do, and that includes our commitment to a more sustainable world. Earth Day reminds us to assess how our behavior as people and as a business affects the environment around us so we can strive to do better.
This year we launched our first Sustainability Report, which details how our core values drive everything we do, and that includes taking care of our planet.
In 2020, Herbruck’s recycled more than 30 million pounds of materials. We diverted 98% of our potential cardboard and plastics waste in 2020 from becoming landfill waste, resulting in massive savings.
In 2020, we saved:
- More than 1.7 million kilowatt-hours of electricity, enough to power the energy needs of 138 homes.
- More than 1,500 cubic feet of landfill airspace, which accommodates the disposal needs of 2,041 people.
- More than 202,500 gallons of oil, equivalent to the heating and cooling needs of 882 homes.
- More than 2.8 million gallons of water, which is equal to drinking water for 38,415 people, and
- Nearly 10,000 gallons of gasoline, enough fuel to cover 276,584 driven miles.
We are proud of the savings that resulted from our efforts because it’s not only good for business – it’s the right thing to do. These savings help reduce our overall carbon footprint and increase our prosperity and the health of our environment for years to come.
We achieved these savings by being committed to environmental stewardship, not just meeting or exceeding government regulations, but by making environmental initiatives a top priority. Herbruck’s demonstrates this through making packaging from recycled material that is also 100 percent recyclable, protecting our water, conserving energy, reducing waste and byproducts, and designing our landscape for conservation. More details can be found in our 2020 Sustainability Report.
On Earth Day, we encourage everyone to do their part to lower their own carbon footprint. This can be achieved through many simple ways, including utilizing reusable bags, turning lights off when they’re not in use, and shopping local, among others. Herbruck’s wishes everyone a safe and healthy Earth Day!